Vital Formulas , do three things that are quite unique in the Multi Vitamin world.
1) Specific Combinations of Supplements
They state (Vital Formulas state) they have scientifically tested and graded vitamins and minerals and combined them in ways that they work together as opposed to, at best dulling the action of the vitamins and supplements or at worst completely cancelling themselves out. I don’t know but I have the suspicion that companies like Centrum (-now only our opinion) just lump the popular vitamins and, minerals together into their tablets and say hey presto – everything you need, when actually they a: don’t know the vitamins will work as they have described, and b: they don’t know for a fact the vitamins are still there and ‘live’ when you take them, which is why they are cheaper (one suspects) and say XtendLife or Nutrilite who do a huge amount of research on natural ingredients and how they will last the shipping manufacturing process and how they will exist side by side with each other in the tablet. And this too is Vital Formulas claim, that they take the best ingredients they can buy from time tested and trusted drug producing companies, plus minerals form the well respect Albion Company and then test and read and do extensive scientific research to see how best to combine these ingredients so they will be just as powerful and useful when you ingest them as they were when they are created.
Their web site gives extensive information into the ingredients and their testing for interactions.
2) Vital Formulas have 3 (THREE !) sets of tablets
Wwhen you buy their multi formulas there is – One for Morning, One for Mid-Day, and One for Evening. Which I think shows their commitment to delivering the supplements as the best moment and in the best way possible. (I know for a fact some of the best graded multis should not be taken in the evening, unless you want a long sleepless night – they provide quite a wake up!).
3) And this 3 times formulas is also interesting in that each time period does not have the same supplements
– so the supplements are provided to be used at the best time for your body to absorb them. Again I think a tribute to Vital Formulas backing up their claim to provide the right combination of supplements delivered in the best possible manner.
This of course brings into the question – Price – how much does it cost to benefit from this timed delivered basket of goodness? 270 tablets in three bottles!
Well good news – The retail is I believe is $59.99 , but they are giving a discount right now so they cost $49.99. for the complete Trio. Which is incredibly inexpensive for all the research and development that must have been spent on this product. However they are not actually making the product themselves (I believe) and so do not have factory and production overhead. However nor do some other top rated Multis and they can cost TWICE as much as Vital Formula.
(The formulas are manufactured by the two US companies. and the minerals from
Albion minerals, which adheres to some of the highest quality control standards in the industry – http://www.albionminerals.com/human-nutrition/human-products)
Vital Formulas also add in some unique ingredients (yes every company has one base they use – alfalfa or green tea leaf), but Vital Formulas has a whole slew of ingredients that are interesting
The Balanced Trio includes extracts of pomegranate, bilberry, hawthorn, red wine, turmeric, cinnamon, marigold, chamomille, lemon balm and hops, DHA and EPA which are the essential omega-3 fatty acids.CoQ10 (in Mid-day formula) includes the following carotenoids lutein, lycopen, astaxanthin and zeaxanthin. And in addition to 90 mg of vitamin C divided into two servings, Balanced Trio includes flavonoids rutin, quercetin and citrus bioflavonoids. Plus in the Evening Formula, Magnesium and Calcium (where it would be better absorbed than say in the Morning formula)
A note on Albion, by using this company Vital Formulas include the most expensive and much better absorbable forms of minerals such as glycinate chelates, malates and aspartates.
We tested the product among our staff, for a while, as there were not extensive reviews online etc. However no allergic reactions, no sudden energy spurts or heart pounding that some multis can offer, until your body gets used to them. The cellulose coating broke down well to allow good absorption, faster in fact than some of the much more higher priced names that boast about their coating and its breakdown time. So we were very pleased and happy with finding such a brand as Multi Formulas
Given the research and commitment to quality this company has – plus a great price for the ingredients offered – we definitely think it’s a multi you should try out. Not all Vitamin Formulas work for all people. If you appreciate the benefits I would definitely put this Brand as one of our top reviewed products for the variety of the ingredients and the quality and science offered.
VITAL FORMULAS TRIO -HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Below is more reading taken from their website: – vital-formulas.com
Vital Formulas is the developer of Balanced Trio – the first multivitamins that are formulated and grouped according to scientific vitamin combining principles.
VF goal in creating Balanced Trio was to develop the most effective supplementation system by using the right combinations of the most bio-available forms of vitamins and minerals.
What’s new is that they are not mixed into a barely digestible mixture. Instead, these nutrients are grouped into three synergistic formulas – Morning, Mid-day and Evening.
You would not eat salmon, milk and pickles together. They’re all good for you, but probably not in that combination. Same principle applies to vitamins and minerals. Why would you take calcium, iron and zinc together? It’s equally not good for their absorption.
In the process of creating Balanced Trio Vital Formulas team of scientists has reviewed and analyzed all available nutrient interaction data. Balanced Trio multivitamins include only well known ingredients – vitamins, minerals, fish oil, coenzyme 10 and antioxidants – nothing new here.
Balanced Trio includes the following seven groups of ingredients: vitamins, minerals, omega-3 fish oil, herb and fruit extracts, coenzyme Q10, carotenoids, and vitamin C complex. All these ingredients have been used in supplements for many years and have a proven track-record of safety and effectiveness. We only use ingredients of the highest quality and bio-availability – chelated minerals from Albion, pure and potent standardized herb and fruit extracts, purified fish oil, trace minerals from Concentrace, carotenoids from AstaREAL and Lyc-o-Mato, vitamins in their most bio-available forms.
Vital Formulas was founded by Natalia Lukina with the idea that nature and science can be combined successfully to create the most effective, natural and safe multivitamin products possible.
Natalia has MS degree in Biology from the California Institute of Technology, then worked at the Scipps Research Institute doing research in cell biology.
At the same time she completed a 2-year professional certification program in Drug Discovery and Development at UCSD. The more she learned about the Big Pharma business, the more she was upset about the current state of the drug industry. This has led to her studies of nutrition and natural supplementation. She wanted to create safe products that would help people stay healthy and away from medications. That’s how Vital Formulas was born.
IMPORTANT LINKS TO CHECK:
1. Vitamins. Balanced Trio includes all 13 of the essential vitamins: four fat-soluble (A,D,E,K) and nine water-soluble (C, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, pantothenic acid, biotin, folic acid). Plus choline and inositol that are also considered vitamins, but not included in the essential group. All these vitamins are constantly used by the body to perform a number of vital functions. The human body and healthy bacteria in the gut are able to synthesize some of these vitamins. However, the quantities are not sufficient and the rest needs to be obtained from food or supplements.
Many multivitamin formulas on the market include mega-doses of B vitamins. While one can often feel immediate effect from taking such formulas, long-term effects of this supplementation has not been studied. We strive to include all the ingredients in the amounts that were documented as safe for long-term use, thus the quantities of all vitamins that we include are based on current DRI norms.
2. Minerals. Balanced Trio includes eleven essential minerals: calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, iodine, selenium, copper, manganese, chromium and molybdenum. Of the essential minerals sodium, chloride and phosphorus are not included because they are required daily in large amounts and generally consumed in sufficient quantities from food. Potassium is also generally consumed in sufficient quantities from food. Small amount of potassium is included in the Evening formula because of its synergistic action with magnesium. Also included is a blend of 72 trace minerals, such as boron, bromide, carbonate, lithium, sulfate and other trace minerals found in seawater. All of these minerals are required for normal functioning of the body. The body cannot synthesize minerals, so they need to be obtained either from food or supplements.
Importantly, our formulas include 50% of daily requirement for magnesium and calcium, which are rarely included in multivitamin formulas because of the extra volume these minerals add to the supplement.
Minerals come in many different forms. Some of the most commonly used in supplements are sulfates and oxides forms (zinc oxide, magnesium oxide, cupric sulfate, manganese sulfate, etc.). Oxides and sulfates are some of the cheapest and most concentrated forms of minerals, which results in their popularity for use in multivitamins. Unlike other products, our formulas include the most expensive and much better absorbable forms of minerals such as glycinate chelates, malates and aspartates.
3. Herb and fruit extracts. Balanced Trio includes extracts of pomegranate, bilberry, hawthorn, red wine, turmeric, cinnamon, marigold, chamomille, lemon balm and hops. All of these herbs have been used for centuries in Europe and Asia and they benefits are verified in the resent scientific literature. We include standardized extracts because this insures consistent quality and potency of these extracts.
There are many novel herbs and fruits coming to the market every day. While they might offer some benefits, their long term effects have not been sufficiently studied. When selecting ingredients our key priorities are safety and time-tested effectiveness.
4. DHA/EPA-rich fish oil. Balanced Trio includes DHA and EPA which are the essential omega-3 fatty acids.Their benefits have been verified by a number of studies and include support for cardiovascular system, neurological function, healthy cholesterol and blood pressure levels and many others.
Current recommendations call for daily intake of 500mg of DHA and EPA. Balanced Trio Mid-day formulas includes 218 mg of DHA and 308 mg of EPA.
The source of our DHA and EPA is purified dry fish oil. The fish oil has been molecularity distilled to remove any potential environmental toxins. Then it was pulverized and covered in protective layer of gelatin. The advantage of using dry fish oil is that it is easily digestible and does not cause fishy burping in vast majority of people who take it.
5. Coenzyme Q-10. Balanced Trio includes CoQ10 in Mid-day formula. CoQ10 has two vital roles in our bodies: energy metabolism and antioxidant protection. CoQ10 is involved in energy production in mitochondria and is found in the highest concentrations in organs that have the highest metabolic energy requirements, such as the heart, kidney, liver and skeletal muscle.
It is important to note that the levels of CoQ10 decrease as we age and that this decrease in CoQ10 is associated with the aging process and many age-related conditions. Supplementation with CoQ10 replenishes the diminished levels of CoQ10, fostering a protective defense against oxidative stress and age-related disease.
6. Carotenoids. Balanced Trio includes the following carotenoids lutein, lycopen, astaxanthin and zeaxanthin. Carotenoids are fat-soluble natural pigments responsible for bright red-orange color of tomatoes, bell peppers, salmon, caviar, shrimp. Carotenoids are powerful anti-oxidants and act in synergy with vitamin A. They are included in our Mid-day formula.
7. Vitamin C complex. In addition to 90 mg of vitamin C divided into two servings, Balanced Trio includes flavonoids rutin, quercetin and citrus bioflavonoids. They all act in synergy with each other and vitamin C. Rutin and quercetin offer anti-inflammatory effect and are used in many countries for blood vessel protection.
These are the only ingredients included in Balanced Trio besides the cellulose capsule in Morning formulas and small amount of neutral ingredients added to form the tablets. Balanced Trio does not contain wheat, dairy, gluten, egg, corn, peanuts/tree nuts, artificial colors of flavors.